The Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) has confirmed the arrest of Senator Dino Melaye at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on Monday morning.
Spokesman of the Service, Mr Sunday James, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that Melaye was arrested by Immigration officials “based on instruction”.
The confirmation came hours after the senator, who represents Kogi West, announced the arrest on his Twitter handle at 7:32 a.m.
“I have just been arrested at the international wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on my way to Morocco for an official engagement sponsored by the Federal Government after checking in,” he tweeted.
The police recently declared Melaye wanted after he was accused of supplying arms to some murder suspects, who allegedly implicated him.
The senator denies the allegations, which he describes as politically motivated. (NAN)
No Fewer than 300 protesters on Monday besieged the premises of the Federal High Court in Lagos to challenge increase in electricity tariff.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the protesters had stormed the court’s premises about 7.32am following a suit instituted on their behalf by a Lagos human rights lawyer, Mr Segun Ogunsanya.
Ogunsanya had filed the suit on behalf of four communities in Lagos namely: Alaba-Oro, Mosafejo Amukoko, Abule Kere and Olaniyonu, challenging the alleged arbitrary estimated billing system of the Eko Electricity Distribution Company.
The claimants are also demanding distribution of prepaid meters to members of the communities.
The Police have arrested a 50-year-old man, Taiwo Oyelabi, for allegedly impregnating his 21-year-old daughter.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr Edgal Imohimi, of Lagos State made the disclosure while parading Oyelabi and other suspects arrested for various crimes at the Police Headquarters in Ikeja on Monday.
Imohimi said the case was reported to the police by concerned members of the public on April 16, adding that the crime was allegedly committed at the suspect’s resident at No. 15, Community Road, Iyana-Iba in Igando.
“The incident started in November, 2017 when the daughter, who was staying with her paternal aunt relocated to the father’s house on his request.
“Since then, he has been having inappropriate sexual liaison with her, the result of the unholy act between father and daughter eventually led to pregnancy.
“Investigations into the case revealed that the suspect is a security man but whenever he was going to work, he goes with the daughter.
Justice Sherifat Solebo of an Ikeja Special Offences Court on Monday ordered Justice Mohammed Yunusa, a suspended Judge of the Federal High Court, Lagos, to face trial for alleged corruption.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Yunusa’s defence counsel, Chief Robert Clarke (SAN), had on March 9, in a preliminary objection, said the embattled judge had been “absolved of the corruption charges” by the National Judicial Council (NJC).
Citing the case of Federal Republic of Nigeria Vs Nganjiwa, Clarke had said that for Yunusa’s dismissal to be valid, President Muhammadu Buhari, had to give a recommendation for his suspension.
Solebo, in the lengthy two-hour ruling, however, held a contrary view, referring to a November 8, 2016 letter from the NJC to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission suspending the judge, noted that the NJC had already exercised disciplinary action against the embattled judge.
“I do not think that the defendant is a sitting judge having been…
The Federal Government has announced plans to use the recovered 322.5 million dollars Abacha loot to fund the Social Investment Scheme.
According to the Minister of Finance, Kemi Adeosun, the investment will help address the health and education challenges affecting the poor and vulnerable.
The minister who was speaking at a joint news conference with the Central Bank governor, Mr Godwin Emefiele to wrap up events at the spring meeting of the World Bank /IMF in Washington is optimistic that the success recorded in the nation’s economic rating will yield more results in the days ahead.
The CBN governor disclosed that the nation’s external reserves now stands at 47.93 billion dollars but warned that the figures will keep fluctuating in the meantime.
The Minister had on April 11, 2018, denied controversy surrounding the recovered Abacha loot.
Reports had emerged that the minister allegedly wrote a letter to President Muhammadu Buhari, blocking the payment of…
Wife of the Vice President, Mrs. Dolapo Osinbajo, has emphasised the need for a good and strong reading culture amongst Nigerians, especially students.
Mrs. Osinbajo made the call while speaking during the World Book and Copyright Day celebration organised by the United States of America Embassy, in Abuja.
She said the message of books and what they represented could be over-emphasised, adding that in the pages of a book, “We can travel to distant lands, meet people of different cultures, and experience other environments.”
She further said that we discover our history, where we came from and what we are made of as we read about those who went before us.
Mrs. Osinbajo added that words in a book informed us and ensured that we stood on the shoulders of those who went before as we walk through our journeys of life.
She recalled the works of great Nigerian writers such as Nana Asma’u (1793-1864) and Flora Nwapa (1931-1993) whose lives are laid bare in…
The Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has issued an order restraining the federal government, Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed, and Vintage Press Limited (publishers of The Nation Newspapers) from further publishing the name of the National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Uche Secondus, in the list of looters.
Secondus had slammed a N1.5 billion suit against Mohammed, the federal government and Vintage Press in Suit No. Suit PHC/1013/2018 as damages for alleged defamation as his name was listed as a looter in the list published by the minister of information and culture for allegedly collecting N200 million on February 19, 2015 from the office of then National Security Adviser.
In the suit, Secondus among other reliefs, asked the court to order the defendants to retract the publications in as many media houses as they published the list and pay N1.5 billion as damages.
As the matter came up…